There are probably more than a dozen negative moments in time from childhood to present that would have aided in changing our thinking and eroding our confidence.
As professionals women we cannot allow random situations to erode our confidence, change our thinking and ultimately sabotage our success. Maybe the erosion first started when you were a child or maybe it started with a sarcastic remark from a boss or co-worker. Many times, we don’t even realize what exactly is causing our lack of confidence. It most times is caused by several small events or words that add up to a big lack of confidence over time.
Lack of confidence does not only affect your professional life but your personal life as well. It transfers over into every area of your life.
Let’s look at the top eight reasons professional women lack confidence
1. Comparison. How often do we compare ourselves to others who we think are better, prettier, smarter, or more successful? The truth is there will always be someone better, prettier, smarter and more successful than you but there will never be another YOU. That sounds cliche but the reality is that you were never meant to be that other person. There is no need for another one of them. There is a need for a YOU or God wouldn’t have arranged your birth. Stop comparing!
2. Allowing others to put labels on us. Don’t let other people tell you who you are, and when they do please correct them. You decide who you are and decide with confidence and certainty.
3. Lack of personal leadership. Personal leadership is you being in complete control over yourself. Every time you don’t keep your commitments, lower your standards, or take the easy way out, your confidence lessens.
4. Criticizing others. If you have something bad to say about someone else, it shows you’re not looking for anything good. It also shows that you don’t think much of yourself if you build yourself up by tearing others down. Find the good, talk about the good and stay away from people who do otherwise.
5. Giving up. No one can feel confident if they’re always throwing in the towel at the slightest sign of pressure. You need to muster up your courage and stay the course. When you emerge on the other side of your challenge, you will be stronger and sooo much more confident than when you started.
6. Worrying about what other people think. You can’t please everyone so don’t even try. Be true to yourself and know that there will be people who won’t like you. It’s okay. It’s something they have to work through, not you. Be you and be confident.
7. Your appearance. When your appearance is sloppy and thrown together, you feel sloppy and thrown together. When your appearance is polished and put together, you feel polished and put together. You look better, you walk taller, feel smarter and exude confidence.
8. Surrounding yourself with negative people. Some of them just want to keep you down at their level or below and some just want someone to listen to their constant complaining. Stay far from both. They don’t have your best interests in mind. They lower your standards and with it, your confidence. You must surround yourself with people who make you better. The ones who build you up and challenge you at the same time.
It’s my hope these points bring you much clarity as to what causes lack of self confidence and you have enough information to start taking action right away to begin to improve your self confidence.